I’m Shandi Kano, and I’m a producer.
Producers don't usually have their own websites. People bring us in just to make things happen. Shiny websites and portfolios are realm of photographers, videographers, models, actors. You know, just not producers ;)
But when you come across stories that resonate with you, chances are there’s a producer working in the background. That’s where I come in.
My job is to know the budget, ask allllll the right questions, know every logistic and be a constant source of guidance on everything production touches. That takes not just an understanding of shoot days, crew schedules, scripts, and gear, but a laser focus on the client and their needs and concept. This type of invisible creativity can turn what would be a $50,000, five-day shoot for a brand video, and transform it into a similar idea for $10,000 or vice versa.
It’s creative, big-picture project management, and I’ve been lucky to collaborate with incredible teams on things like:
Film and commercial video production
Commercial photo shoots
Yeah, it’s a lot. But that's the beauty of what I do: I’m not siloed, which lets me constantly grow and pursue almost any kind of project. Because the common denominator in all meaningful creative work is the story you’re telling and why you’re telling it.
I’ve been working as a freelance producer for six years, and started my career at ESPN and the X Games. Thanks for reading. I love what I do, and I’m glad you found me.
You can connect with me online here:
May 2014 – Present
Salt Lake City, UT
Current clients are Zion National Park, Marmot, and Utah Office of Tourism. In between these steadier client projects, I pick up other production work for clothing, healthcare, and tech companies. Variety keeps me hungry.
Sept 2016 – Jan 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
Championed, led and managed the branding team and process for The Outessa Summit with a focus on brand voice and unique positioning within the outdoor space.
• Directed a team of researches, designer, copywriter and developer to produce and launch the Outessa. com website and Outessa Summit app for smart phones.
• E ectively launched the new outdoor event series for women in partnership with REI and 20+ other business partnerships, targeting sign ups through social media, adroll, facebook and email marketing. Tracked ROI through various marketing analytics tools.
• Created and managed said social, web and email advertisements.
• Produced all video, photo and digital assets for Outessa and guided the direction of any partnership- created media. Managed all digital assets including curated social content.
• Managed and oversaw social media team and strategies including partnership ful llment, content cal endars and oversaw execution with best practices.
• Created and maintained in uencer program and relationships.
• Worked directly with Public Relations rm to increase awareness and ensure events media coverage. • Successfully used working relationships to produce media coverage from ESPNW, USA Today, Back packer magazine, Gear Junkie, Muscle & Fitness, Competitor Magazine and Popsugar among others.
The Rise Festival
Jan 2015 – Jan 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
• Produced and managed the branding for The RiSE Festival with a focus on consumer-based voice • Lead creation, curation and execution of social media content calendar
• Created and oversaw all consumer facing communication and partnership ful llments
• Direct the design of all RiSE collateral and any partnership sponsored collateral
• Produced and managed all media created by RiSE, including video and still photography
• Managed web-development team and successfully relaunched a new RiSE website
• Developed in uencer program and budget. Managed event-day and year-round logistics and ful ll
• Worked directly with Public Relations rm in story generation and distribution, event awareness and year- round media coverage. Highlights include coverage from MTV’s The Real World, Huffington Post, Fodor’s Travel, Yahoo News, LA Times, SELF, Pop Sugar and Associated Press among others.
May 2014 – Jan 2016
Salt Lake City, UT
• Control the budgets and resource allocation for commercial TV and digital video production and radio advertisements.
• Produce all media assets from conception to completion in conjunction with creative directors, writers and technical sta .
• Hire all sta including director of photography, rst and second cameramen, ga er (lighting technician), assitant producers, runners, craft services, talent, make-up artists, editors, colorist and sound designer. • Location scout and legally secure shooting locations.
• Create and organize production schedule, company moves and oversee post-production through each edit stage including picture lock, coloring and audio sweetening.
• Ensure compilance with relevant regulations, codes of practice, safety laws, talent release forms and r rights-cleared music.
• Highlights include commercial production for The Huntsman Cancer Institute, Envision Utah, and the LDS Church.
ESPN X GAMES
Apr 2012 – Jan 2014
• Prepare and execute a streamline live-event video work ow across all TV, .com and X Games social plat forms to quicken time to market speed. Increase visibility of the action sports events.
• Coordinate, maintain and enhance year-round action sports/X Games.com video-content o ering.
• Film, produce and edit features and live-event teasers. Guide graphic design for cross--platform integra tion. Contribute to story package ideas with creativity and knowledge of industry.
• Work with contracted vendors for video and manage rights-cleared music libraries